Gatte ki subji is an authentic Rajasthani dish, which is nothing but gram flour dumplings in think gravy.The very first time i had this was at my friends home and this is her mom’s recepie. When aunty serves this with hot ghee rotis it just melts in my mouth. But the reason that i tried it out is something else.. I was out of vegetable stock so thought and came up with this idea.. :) called up my friend and prepared it.I am trying this dish after years now and my hubby who is a hard core carnivore loved it too :)
- 2cups besan
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp haldi
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Ajwain seeds
- 1/2 tbsp jeera
- 1 tbsp fenugreek leaves
- 4 tsp Oil
- 1 cup curd
- Salt to taste
- Add red chilli powder, salt to besan and mix well to form a stiff dough.Make rolls like sausages and put them into boling hot water and boil for around 5-10minutes.Once boiled cut them into bite size portions and keep aside
- For the gravy -Take a pan and add oil to this add the mustard and when it splutters add onion, jeera and ajwain
- When the onions become transluscent add the tomatoes and cook for another 2- 3 mins
- To this add red chilly powder , haldi , and coriander powder and cook well
- Now take curd and beat it well with no lumps and then add it to the gravy
- To this add the curd mixture and the besan pieces
- Cook it over medium flame for 5 minutes and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Gatte ki Sabzi is ready.
Enjoy with hot roti's !