After making besan poli ( check my last post) i had picturised puran poli in my head and i so badlywanted to eat it. Now this is the not so good part of being married.... i miss my mom coz earlier whenever I wanted anything or before me telling mummy used to prepare it and now ... well i have to do it right from scratch!
Puran Poli is to some extent complicated and it is made in puran yantra , which translates into puran machine.. funny! But i am not so fortunate with this and replaced the yantra with another yantra – The mixer grinder! I was preparing this for the first time and I thought my husband would love the Sunday morning surprise breakfast, but it ended up being Sunday brunch!
So try this dish only if you have enough time coz it took me 2 hours to prepare. All said and done ... not so bad for a first attempt , right guys?? And i cracked it ..... im so happy and btw here goes my hubby’s comments
“ Your Puran poli’s are small in size but high in taste” It just made my day!
- 2 cups chana dal
- 3 tbsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 200 gms jaggery or sugar (as per your taste )
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour / maida
- 1 pinch salt
- Pressure cook the chana dal (3 whistles) and drain the water and let it cool. If you want it to be cooled fast put it below a fan.. It works!
- Now take this chana dal in a mixer jar and grind well till its broken down into fine paste ( add water drop by drop in case it turns out hard to powder it .Also note too much water will spoil the consistency , so be careful while adding water)
- If you have a food processor then you can powder it in that also
- Heat a pan , to this add the chana dal paste, jaggery, ghee, salt and cardamom powder and stir well on a low flame.
- Now the jaggery will start to melt and the chana dal will start to absorb the water.It is very important to stir continuously i'm stressing again 'continuously'
- It took me 40 - 50 minutes of stirring on slow flame, it felt like doing exercise in the gym with dumbells. It hurts a lot! so switch between hands
- So this was the stuffing adjust the sweetness as per your taste.
- Now for the covering just knead atta like we do ti for chapatis.
- Now stuff into the atta , just like we do for paratha's and roll them without the stuffing coming out of the covering
- Put on hot pans and cook both sides for 3-4 minutes , A doolpo of ghee or oil can be added to both the side while cooking on pan