Thursday 25 March 2010

Smarties Cookies


I am not at all trained in cooking. Till last year it was confined to chai n maggi ..(thanks to my hostel life) so from there to here is quite a journey ! I love food and that's why i love cooking, and cooking + love for books = cookery books. Tht's right, once i discovered my passion for cooking i started to read more n more cookery books n now a days cook books are always in my shopping list.

I love the GOODFOOD BBC Books.They have a range of books across all categories from salads to desserts.This recipie is from one such book. Now just because you have a book does not mean you are a good cook / baker.. right??

Ill explain why. This was my first attempt in baking cookies and it was a complete disaster! Something somewhere went wrong... :( But i did not lose hope, I tried it again and this time I got it right. I also learnt my lesson - Overconfidence in the very beginning is harmfull... :)

At the end of the day i was happy to see my cookies in good shape ( i neglected my kitchen mess though )


Ingredients:
  • 350 gm Plain flour
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 250 gm unsalted softened butter
  • 300 gm cater sugar
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tubes/ packs of smarties / gems
  • Pinch of salt
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius /fan
  • Take a mixing bowl and to it add the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt & set aside
  • Beat/Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. TO this add beaten egg and vanilla extract
  • To this add the sifted dry ingredients to from a stiff dough
  • Roll the dough in balls and place them on baking sheets spaced apart
  • Press smarties/ gems to each simultaneously flattening them
  • Bake for 15 minutes until pale golden brown
  • Leave for 3- 5 minutes to cool down.
Cookies ready! this recipie will make 10 - 12 cookies and will stay for 3 days in a air tight container
Enjoy!

No comments: